Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Melba's fanfiction

Grey's Anatomy

5 years after Izzie's successful surgery...

Alex was looking at this empty lounge with a feeling that nobody would ever want to feel. She was not coming back, she was gone.

"You should have a break. Come on Alex..." said Meredith with a quiet but shaking voice.

Alex couldn't hear anything, he was in his "world" determined to finish filling the huge amount of unfolded boxes leaning against the wall.

His heart was dancing to a really slow beat, his eyes were red and looked tired, he couldn't really feel anything apart from this terrible ache in the chest. It wasn't physical. It was worse.

"You have to stop doing this Alex! You have to rest." Meredith was worried for him. She was devastated by what happened too but she had to be there for her friend, he needed her.

Alex was in a limbo kind of state of mind, "I.. I.. I have to finish packing ok?".

Meredith put her hand on his shoulder, he then slowly looked at her with despair in his eyes, "She's gone..." he shook his head, "Gone... God I can't believe it... She was my everything and.. she's gone."

- "Life's gonna get better in time Alex, Izzie wouldn't want you to feel this way for the rest of your life"

- "The rest of my life?!" Alex interrupted with tears running down his face "I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with her! And how would she want me to feel?! Good?!... Happy?! These words don't exist anymore Meredith... I just can't do it without her."

Meredith took him in her arms "You're gonna be alright, I promise. You're gonna live this life the way Izzie would have wanted you to. You're gonna keep faith and make her and this little guy proud. You hear me?"

"But what exactly am I supposed to do right now? I don't think there's any manual teaching you how to cope, is there? Huh... I remember where I was 5 years ago. I was on the top of the world! Feeling greater than ever! Thinking that life was giving us a second chance... Damn! I felt good... But when you expect it less she decides it's time to suffer again. She takes everything back and leaves you there, with nothing to hang on to..."

Meredith felt a heavy weight on her shoulders, how was she supposed to comfort him after what he just said. He was right, life took a part of him away. He lost the love of his life how worse could it get? She imagined herself in Alex's situation. She stopped breathing for a second, she couldn't even bear the idea of losing Derek. She took a deep breath.

- "Alex you're right. Life can be so unpredictible. Anything can happen at any time. We work in a hospital where life is so fragile, where people come thinking that their father, brother or wife is doing ok where as life has already decided otherwise. You named it Alex, that's life... She chose to take Izzie away but life for you must go on! You're not alone."

Alex took his head in his hands as if it was too hard to hear "Everything seems so far away from me, everything's out of reach right now!"

Meredith stopped him "You have us... you have HIM! It is time to think about your future. He needs you more than anything in the world Alex" she was pointing at the kitchen.

A little cry came out of the kitchen. There, was a green stroller next to the only chair remaining in the kitchen. Alex approached it with tears in his eyes but a little tender smile on his face. He took his son in his arms, he was so small and warm. Alex could feel his little heart beating against his fingers that looked really big next to that wee little body.

- "He's your hope and future." said Meredith with a hopeful voice, "Now it's you and him against the world."

Alex put his left hand into the baby bag full of nappies reaching for his phone, he unlocked it, turned the volume at its highest then pressed "Menu" - "My files" - "Music", he scrolled down, stopped at "L'Hymne à l'Amour" and played it. He then put the phone on the chair and started to dance really slowly with his son in his arms, he couldn't take his eyes off of him.

Le ciel bleu sur nous peut s’effondrer
Et la terre peut bien s’écrouler
Peu m’importe si tu m’aimes
Je me fous du monde entier
Tant qu’l’amour inond’ra mes matins
Tant que mon corps frémira sous tes mains
Peu m’importent les problèmes
Mon amour puisque tu m’aimes

~~~
Si un jour la vie t’arrache à moi
Si tu meurs que tu sois loin de moi
Peu m’importe si tu m’aimes
Car moi je mourrai aussi
Nous aurons pour nous l’éternité
Dans le bleu de toute l’immensité
Dans le ciel plus de problèmes
Mon amour crois-tu qu’on s’aime
Dieu réunit ceux qui s’aiment


It was their wedding song. He felt the song and its lyrics like never before.

"Your mummy ab-so-lu-tely loved it" said Alex. He turned to Meredith who was watching the scene from the lounge and smiled at her, "He's my hope".

He then whispered "God reunites those who love each other".

6 comments:

  1. Hey Melba

    You have set the mood in this quite nicely by portraying the characters emotions, especially Alex’s. Make sure when you publish it, that you say what your fan fiction is based on. Im guessing it is Grey’s Anatomy? Also what is the writing in french at the end for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melba,

    First of all, I have to admit that I have never really watched Grey's Anatomy, although I have a vague idea of the story line thanks to having a sister who is obsessed with the show. :-) So in saying that, I think that you have done a really good job with the story and even though I don't have a connection with these characters first hand, your writing really made me connect to Alex and feel what he was feeling.

    The quote "Now it's you and him against the world, from now and he has to be your strength" was really touching and brought warmth to this sad story.

    I too, will be interested to see how you weave in l'Hymne à l'amour to this story so English speakers understand. I think that song fits well. :-)

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a famous French song by Edith Piaf. It's Alex and Izzie's wedding song (in my fanfic). There's an English version of it called "If you love me, really love me" of course the original version is much better. Thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there.

    I like the dynamic in this story.
    I almost wish you pushed if further somehow. You said the words. But maybe spending a little more time to describe his feelings deeply. To give that feeling of devastation to the reader. It could make the ending much more power.
    I love the line "a little tender smile" with this line it gives your story much more depth. It gave it a changing dynamic.
    I love very descriptive writing, as you've seen by my fic. This isn't everyone's style.
    I liked it none the less. :)

    Cheers
    CHris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now the ending makes sense. I also like how you added when it was in the Greys timeline.
    Good Work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melba,

    I can't say I've seen more than the odd episode or so of Grey's so I don't have that real connection to the character in the way I'm sure you do. This is clear by the way you handled a very emotionally difficult scene, the type where you need to feel that awkward silence and despairingness and I think you achieved that quite well.Plus it's almost essential to have a friend to give some pointers in such a moment. I'd say Meredith has some of the most powerful lines and gives hope. The song was a very nice touch( I'm glad I understand french!)

    Maybe you could've gone a little more in-depth into what the characters were feeling.. but sometime less is more and you described everything well enough for me. I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete